Effective as of 2/23/2020
Personal Information We Collect
Information you give us. Personal information that you may provide through the Service or otherwise includes:
- Contact information, such as your first name, last name, university affiliation, student organization affiliation, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Profile information, such as your username, password, preferences, social media handle and other information you provide for your profile;
- Communications, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, or otherwise correspond with us online;
- Images, videos, and other content that you upload or submit to us through the Service, such as by participating in a survey or uploading content to your profile, including pictures, video, captions and other text, audio, and metadata associated with those files;
- Survey responsesand other feedback you provide to us;
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving marketing communications and details about how you engage with them; and
Information from third-party sources. We may combine personal information we receive from you with the personal information we obtain from other sources, such as:
- Business partners, such as student organizations, joint marketing partners, and event co-sponsors.
- Public sources, such as publicly-available social media profiles, directories, and other third party sources.
Data collected automatically. We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log the following information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your activity over time on the Service and other online services:
- Device data, such as your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, IP address, unique identifiers, and general location information such as city or town.
- Usage data, such as the website you visited before browsing to the Site or accessing the App, pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen or with our email communications, access times, and duration of access.
- Precise geolocation data, such as when you authorize our App to access your location. Some of our automatic collection is facilitated by:
- Cookies, which are text files stored on a visitor‘s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser for the purpose of helping you navigate between pages efficiently and remembering your preferences, enabling functionality, helping us understand user activity and patterns, facilitating online advertising and measuring the effectiveness of our ads.
- Web beacons, also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs, which are typically used to demonstrate that a webpage or email was accessed or opened, or that certain content within it was viewed or clicked, typically to compile statistics about usage of websites and the success of marketing campaigns.
- Software development kits, or SDKs, which are used to incorporate third-party computer code into our App that allows our third-party service providers or advertising partners to collect data directly from it for a variety of purposes, including to provide us with analytics regarding the use of the App, to integrate with social media, add features or functionality to our app, or to facilitate online advertising.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Service delivery. We use your personal information to:
- provide, operate, maintain, and improve the Service;
- communicate with you regarding the Service, including by sending you Service announcements, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- analyze and share your survey responses, videos and feedback with our business partners;
- process your Service transactions and process any related payments:
- understand your opinions, needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Service; and
- provide support for the Service and respond to your requests, questions and feedback
Research and development. We may use your personal information for research and development purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and our business and develop other products and services. As part of these activities, we may create aggregated, de-identified or other anonymous data from the personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Service and promote our business.
Marketing. We and our third-party advertising partners may collect and use your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes:
- Direct marketing. If you request information from us, use the Service or participate in our surveys, promotions or events, we may send you PurPics-related marketing communications as permitted by law but will provide you with the ability to opt-out.
- Interest-based advertising. We may contract with third-party advertising and social media companies to display ads on our Service and other sites. These companies may collect information about you (including the device data and usage data described above) over time and across various channels, including our Service and other sites and services, and use that information to serve ads that they think will interest you. These ads are known as “interest-based advertisements.” You can learn more about your choices for limiting interest-based advertising in the Advertising choicessection below.
Compliance and protection. We may use your personal information to:
- protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims);
- audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies;
- protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft; and
- comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
Other purposes with your consent. In some cases we will ask for your consent to collect, use or share your personal information for other purposes. For example, we may ask for your consent to send you marketing emails where required by law or to post your testimonial or endorsement.
How We Share Your Personal Information
- Our partners. Depending on how you use the Service, we may share your personal information with our partner brands, peer influencers, student organizations, and the causes that receive donations as part of our services. For example, when you participate in one of our surveys, we will disclose the information you provide to our partner brands.
- Service providers. We may work with companies and individuals to help provide the Service on our behalf or help us operate the Service or our business (such as IT, customer support, hosting, website analytics, email delivery, marketing and advertising, research, and event management). They are permitted to use your personal information only to help us operate the Service or our business as authorized under our contracts with them.
- Third-party platforms. If you have enabled features or functionality that connect the Service to a social media network or other third-party platforms (such as by logging in to the Service using your account with the third party, or otherwise linking your account with the Service to a third-party’s services), we may disclose the personal information that you authorized us to share. We do not control the third party’s use of your personal information.
- Other users of the Service and the public. We may provide functionality that enables you to disclose personal information to other users of the Service or the public. You may also be able to submit content to the Service, and we will display and share your username and profile information along with the content you submit and other information we have collected about you. We may make available settings through your registration profile that enable you to exercise choice regarding certain information that is displayed publicly or to other users. We do not control how other users or third parties use any personal information that you make available to other users or the public.
- Advertising partners. We work with third-party advertising and social media companies that may collect information about your activity on or through the Service and other sites and services. Our partners may use your information to recognize you across different channels and platforms over time for advertising, analytics, attribution and reporting purposes, and/or use hashed customer lists that we share with them to deliver ads to you and similar users on their platforms.
- Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors, and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services they render to us.
- Compliance and protection.We may disclose your personal information as we believe appropriate to government or law enforcement officials or private parties (a) for the compliance and protection purposes described above; (b) as required by law, lawful requests or legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities; (c) where permitted by law in connection with any legal investigation; and (d) to prosecute or defend legal claims.
Access or update your information. You may review, update, correct or delete the personal information in your registration profile by logging into your account or emailing us at email@example.com.
Opt-out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing-related emails by logging in and changing your account settings or by following the opt-out prompt in the email. You may continue to receive Service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Advertising choices. You can limit the use of your information for interest-based advertising by:
- Browser settings. Blocking third-party cookies in your browser settings or using ad-blocking browser plug-ins/extensions. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use all functionality of the Service and our Site may not work properly. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your browser and how to manage and delete them, visit allaboutcookies.org.
- Mobile device settings. Using your mobile device settings to limit the use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Platform settings. Using Google’s and Facebook’s interest-based advertising opt-out features:
- Ad industry tools. Opting out of interest-based ads from companies participating in the following industry opt-out programs:
- Network Advertising Initiative: http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp
- Digital Advertising Alliance:
The opt-out preferences described above must be set on each device or browser for which you want them to apply. Not all companies that serve interest-based ads participate in the ad industry opt-out programs described above, so even after opting-out, you may still receive some cookies and interest-based ads from other companies. If you opt-out of interest-based advertisements, you will still see advertisements online but they may be less relevant to you.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Declining to provide your personal information. If you do not provide the information indicated as required or mandatory within the Service, or that is otherwise necessary to provide a requested service or feature within the Service, that portion or all of the Service may be unavailable to you and we may deactivate your account.
Third-party platforms or social media networks. If you choose to connect to the Service via a third-party platform or social media network, you may have the ability to limit the information that we may obtain from the third party at the time you log in to the Service using the third-party’s authentication service or otherwise connect your account. Subsequently, you may be able to control your settings through the third party’s platform or service. If you withdraw our ability to access certain information from a third-party platform or social media network, that choice will not apply to information that we have already received from that third party.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take a number of organizational, technical and physical measures designed to protect the personal information we collect, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no security safeguards are 100% secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
International Data Transfers
PurPics is headquartered in the United States and has service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be collected, used and stored in the United States or other locations outside of your home country. Privacy laws in the locations where we handle your personal information may not be as protective as the privacy laws in your home country.
Third-Party Sites and Services
The Service may contain links to other websites and services operated by third parties, such as social media platforms, advertising services and other websites and applications. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control third-party websites, applications or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services follow different rules regarding their collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We encourage you to read their privacy policies to learn more.
The Service is not directed at, and PurPics does not knowingly acquire or receive personal information from, children under the age of 16. If we learn that any user of the Service is under the age of 16, we will take appropriate steps to delete that individual’s personal information and restrict that individual from future access to the Service.
How to Contact Us
1614 East 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78702